Monday, November 2, 2009

Pom Pom Flowers

I was fixing my cabinets yesterday when I found a bunch of different colors of yarns in the corner. I don't want to throw them away but I don't like them seeing scattered around either.  I searched for projects related to yarns and I found the pom pom flower tutorial.  There were several methods how to make them including the donut card board method but the pom pom tutorial  I found in Bella Dia is more easier for me.  It only took me 30 minutes to make a bud of pom pom flower.  Never thought that I can still recycle my yarn scraps into something really lovely.  It's so easy! Here's how to make them.

You will need:



yarn
sharp scissors
glue gun & glue sticks
materials for stems ( branches or twigs, fabric covered flower wire)




Use your thumb to hold the yarn against your three fingers then start wrapping it with yarn.  Remember not to wrap them to tightly so that you can easily slip them off your fingers later.  



The more you wrap your fingers with yarn the more fuller your pom pom will look.  But it still depends with the yarn's thickness.  For my pom poms I used 2 kinds of thickness.  I wrap it for 80 time using the thick yarn and 150 times for the thin one.




After wrapping,  slide it off your fingers.  Be careful not to deform the yarn ball you've made.




Then, cut another yarn about 12 inches long to use it as a tie.  Put the string in the middle of the yarn wrap it around and begin a knot.  Pull it tightly then finish the knot. 



Using a sharp scissors, cut the yarn loops the entire way around.



You will be left with a rugged looking pom pom after cutting all the loops.



Trim the long strands of yarn until you get a smooth finish.  Fluffy!



Fire up your glue gun then put a small amount of glue in the edge of your twig then press it to your pom pom.






Ta da'! A pom pom flower!


Here's more.


















 Click here to subscribe to this blog


1 comment: