Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Rafael First Hospital Experience


Just recently, Rafa's pediatrician diagnosed him with an acute asthma.  I felt guilty because I knew he got it from me.  I was hoping before that he will grow without it because I know how difficult it is to grow up as an asthmatic child.  I've been through a lot of hardships during my younger years and that includes missing a class field trip when I was in grade 3 and not being able to take a practical exams in physical education when I was in first year high school.

The other night, my parents and I brought my son here at the Hospital of Infant Jesus (where I am currently an employee)  We had to because he was already weak looking and had few episodes of vomiting early that day.  He refused to eat and drink his milk worried that he might cough again.  He had lots of secretions that caused him difficulty of breathing as well not to mention the allergies showing up on both his upper and lower extremities.  That afternoon I already gave him expectorant medication and the usual nebulization were also administered.  However, the dehydration made us decide to travel from Cavite to Manila to seek medical help.


We arrived ER around 10:35pm of November 16.  A doctor checked him right away and was pretty convinced that he needs to be admitted.  I was impressed when IV was inserted to Rafael.  He cried, but he stopped right away.  I was thankful a good vein was found even if the ER nurse had a hard time looking for one because Rafa's a little chubby :)  The doctor admitted Rafael with a suspicion of UTI and to check if the vomiting might lead to diarrhea.  But the main diagnosis was bronchial asthma wherein the secretions causes him to puke.  Well, it was still a relief that it wasn't dengue.  There are lots of dengue cases right now and being aware of the disease I was really praying last night that Rafael doesn't have it.


Rafael was already tired and sleepy when we got here in our room. And even if he still refused to drink or eat anything, I was still relieved because he was already receiving iv fluids.  He was given antibiotics thru iv and expectorant Cheryl IP since yesterday.  He's also taking nebulization every 6 hours and was given hydrocortisone for his itchy rashes.

Rafa's hand is all bandaged up to keep the iv in place, but just this afternoon, Rafael received the last bottle of IV was given  changed his line into heparinized needle for his iv antibiotics.  Today, his second day here in the hospital was totally different from that night of his admissions.  He's back messing up our things and is even jumping on his bed.  I am really happy not seeing him restless and instead a jolly smiling face Rafa.  He's eating with his usual good appetite and drinking lots of fluids.  Though he still needs to be monitored due to the wheezes and crackles breath sounds he has I am confident that we will be discharged tomorrow.


Luis was worried that he was calling us every now and then.  I even decided to buy the Smart Bro wireless broadband so that I can go online and show him Rafael in the webcam.  Really wish that Luis is already here and be with us at this very moment.


So far, everyone is really happy to know that Rafael is doing fine.  All he needs is to deal with the few more doses left of the Penicillin.  He's not impressed by iv injections at all and I think he's already traumatized.  My poor baby :(  I hope this first hospital experience of his will end here, no more hospitalization in the future! All of us at home including his daddy are already looking forward seeing him mess up the house again! Get well soon our dear Rafael!  We love you and miss you!




 












 


.





No comments:

Post a Comment