Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Honey to Relieve Nagging Cough



I was getting concerned when I noticed that my husband's cough wasn't getting better!  It was dry and causing him throat irritation.  I can imagine how it's making him crazy worried.  I know how he likes to get better as soon as possible in preparation for our little girl's arrival anytime soon this week.  I already brought him to our family doctor last week and he was given antibiotic to be taken for 10 days.  I'm sure the bacteria's gone by now because the mucus has turned to clear from yellow but coucg is still there and it's killing me watch him suffer from his nagging cough =(

This afternoon I made him some hot lemon juice to help soothe his throat.  I also made sure that his Buckley mucolytic cough syrup was on schedule as well as his antibiotics.  Rubbed some liniment and Vick's on both his chest and back and lastly made him some good baked pork ribs for dinner with salad on the side =)  I'm a registered nurse, so I better take care and nurse my husband really really well. 

lemon juice


my baked pork ribs with salad on the side


After all of that, late this night he still ended up coughing and I just couldn't help but to desperately look for a remedy just for him to get a good night sleep.  He's going back to work tomorrow and I want him to get a good rest and be able to finish everything he needs to finish in the office.  He mentioned to me earlier that he needed to finish some paper works just in case I'll give birth this week.  Of course, I don't want him to be worrying about work while Im on labor but instead enjoy all the experience of fatherhood!

Good thing I remember getting this book from a thrift shop called "Household Hints" -- a book of list if tips of efficient housekeeping.  I looked under "first aide section" and amazingly a found the tip a badly needed! 




Household Hints


Tip 606:  Putting a dab of honey on the back of your tongue can 
                bring relief from a nagging cough.

Right away took my honey from the fridge and did exactly what the book says.  Luis was hesitant at first, but he realized that he had no choice but to try all the possible remedies just to get rid of his discomfort.  Then, it worked!!! It was the best timing discovery ever! I am loving this book and I'll make sure that I'll make it accessible in the whole household.  I tried scanning for other tips and there are alot more that are so efficient, money saving and will be big help in the future.  Here are some other tip examples:

Tip 603: To get a young child to take distasteful medicine, run an ice cube over his tongue -- this temporarily freezes the taste buds.

Tip 609: Soothe monor kitchen burns by rubbing  it gently with the cut surface of raw potato.





These were the ones I think will be helpful for me... and there are more! So happy and I'll definitely keep this book!!!  It just made my husband's night comfortable =)






.

No comments:

Post a Comment